Lodging and Food


How do I book a hotel?

Hotels must be booked through the UW Concur system (ask your advisor) or directly with the hotel. See more information here. Payment for a hotel can be via check ahead of time or a department card. You may not book a hotel through a third party vendor (kayak, expedia, etc).

How do I book a house?

Airbnb is allowed for booking houses. See more information on airbnb. The UW Department Card can be used to pay for a booking. You may also book directly with the homeowner. Work with your advisor to complete a direct booking. If the owner or property manager allows for instant online booking, this is allowed. Each direct booking must have the homeowners W9, a contract outlining terms with UW-Madison's Purchasing Department approval, and an invoice. A check or UW department card can be used to pay for a booking.

Food/ Drink

Can I have a potluck?

More information on how to host a potluck can be found here.

How do I order food?

If an event is held at the Wisconsin Union, food for the event must be purchased through Union Catering. You can work with your CESO rep and WU catering. Talk to your advisor and see more information here.

What is the UW-Madison Alcohol Policy?

Policy can be found here.

What is the Galley?

The Galley is Outdoor UW's food prep and pack-out space. Galley information can be found here.

Can food be purchased with a department card?

Food for off-site events or trips can be paid for with a department card. Any in-house food through Wisconsin Union catering must NOT be paid for with a department card. An internal transfer for billing will occur.